You may be wondering if it’s possible to balance board duties with the rest of your commitments. The answer is yes! With the right tools and the right team, you can absolutely take an active role in your community while maintaining the right balance for your life. Let us help you!
The key to finding the right balance in your position as a board member is time management. By prioritizing your to-do list, you won’t be conflicted by what is most important. When urgent situations arise, you will be able to focus and continue moving forward.
Consider these six recommendations when planning your time:
- Set goals: Goals should be specific, measurable, and attainable. Focusing on goals that are relevant to your tasks at hand will help you eliminate non-essentials.
- Prioritize carefully: Identify what is most important and urgent. Consider this guide to help you decide what comes first:
- Important and urgent? Do these tasks first!
- Important, but not necessarily urgent? Schedule a time to complete these tasks.
- Urgent, but not important? Delegate, if possible.
- Not urgent and not important? Set these tasks aside to do later.
- Set a time limit to complete the tasks: Establishing time constraints will help you to be more productive and focused.
- Allow for downtime: Constantly being on the go can lead to future distractions and leave you feeling overwhelmed. Build in some downtime to take a break, clear your head, or take a walk. You’ll come back ready to focus and you’ll be more efficient!
- Remove the non-essentials: What deserves your time, and what can be delegated to someone else? What can be eliminated? Giving yourself the opportunity to focus on the most important tasks will help you feel more accomplished and organized.
- Make a plan: Are you someone who likes to write everything down? Do you make lists or keep appointments in your phone? Whatever system works for you, be consistent and make a plan to use your time wisely.
Eliminating distractions and avoiding procrastination can limit those late nights or never-ending to-do lists that seem to take your breath away. Finding the right balance as a member of your community association will allow you to be an active participant in other aspects of your life.
You do make a difference, and your community needs you! Don’t forget to utilize the resources and experts around you to maximize your participation while maintaining the balance you need for a healthy, happy, and productive life.